Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 19:54:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ariel Faigon: The Holloween Document (fwd)

> I got this on a linux list that I'm on and thought I'd forward it to
> this group.  It seems relevant.  It will likely make you mad.

[ ... ]

> 	http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/halloween.html

It seems to me a bit too conveniently supportive of ESR's
commentary and the whole "Microsoft Pheeeeeeerz Linux" mentality.

There are also some gross historical errors with regard to BSD,
in particular the organization of the family tree, what constitutes
a factionalization, and the total disregard of the existance of
Bill Jolitz.

In short, it looks like it was written by someone with a rosy view
of Linux, a less rosy view of BSD, a paranoid fixation on Microsoft,
an agenda about what they felt "needs fixing" (phrased as an
observation of "weakness"), and a near total lack of understanding
of market dynamics and game theory.

In short, not someone that Microsoft would ever pay to analyze what
the document purports to analyze.

As a memetic virus attempt, it's nearly perfect in that no matter
how Microsoft does or doesn't respond, it will create a lot of Press
fervor in the vein "Microsoft Pheeeeeeerz Linux in memo".  I think
it's likely to have what I believe is its intended effect: more
press coverage for Linux in the mainstream media.

All in all, we should commision Brett Glass to write one for FreeBSD.

Followups to FreeBSD-advocacy.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---