Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:25:09 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP alias configuration for high availability

Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com> wrote:

>The idea is that first network address for a server would be
>fixed on the reserved IP addresses of 192.168.xxx.xxx.  These
>fixed addresses would be used for private communication
>between the various servers.
>
>The other addresses used by each server would be from the
>Internet IP address block assigned from our ISP (example
>209.185.152.1 thru 209.185.152.20).
>
>With such a configuration we hope to be able to hot swap
>servers among the various Internet IP addresses for system
>maintenance and emergency situations for high availability.
>
>From my testing it seems everything works pretty well.  I have
>found that I need to manually break the association between
>an IP address and ethernet address on the servers by using the
>"arp" utility.

You can avoid the need to fiddle with arp and ifconfig by setting up
the alias on the server's loopback interface. You then control which
servers are live by changing the routes on the router; the servers
don't need to be told what's going on.

To set up a server:

ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig lo0 inet 209.185.152.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

On the router:

route add -host 209.185.152.1 192.168.0.1

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net