Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:11:41 +0200
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Binary upgrade from legacy version

Hi, list!

I want to upgrade two freebsd machines I have from 6.1-SECURITY and
5.3-RELEASE respectively, to the latest 7.0 release of FreeBSD. I
don't want to cvsup and build, but prefer to use prebuilt binaries.
Also I'd like to avoid wiping the systems, and starting afresh.

I know this might break my systems and are willing to take the risk.
I also reqognize that I probably have to rebuild a lot of ports
afterwards.

What steps do I take to increase my probablity of success? How do I
do this the cleanest way possible? Could I just get all the
distfiles and put them on top of my old system? How do I find files
that are to be deleted from the old system?

	sv.