Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:07:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running X-clients on remote hosts.

How can I allow Xfree86 to listen for network connections again?  I
certainly used to have no problem doing this, and I don't see anything
about this specific and probably very simple problem in the handbook or
googling.

I'm running an X server on my workstation (Xfree86 4.1) on my
workstation (FreeBSD 4.6.2-p3) and I wan to have X-clients connect from
other machine, for example xload.

So, on logged into the remote host (using bash) I enter
"export DISPLAY=wks:0" and on my workstation I enter "xhost +".  Then on
the remote host I enter "xload &" and all I get is "Error: Can't
open display: wks:0"

Then, if I go to a virtual terminal on my workstation (i.e. press
ctrl-alt-F3) and enter "export DISPLAY=wks:0" then "xhost +" I get
'xhost:  unable to open display "wks:0"'.  If I replace the
(DNS-valid) hostname with localhost exactly the same thing happens.

I've tested this from a friend's Windows 98 box which has Hummingbird
Exceed installed on it, and there is no problem running X-clients on
it, by sshing in and doing "export DISPLAY=ant:0".  So I know the
problem is with my workstation's X server.

So what should I do to make X network aware?  It currently only seems to
work as "export DISPLAY=:0"

TIA,
Bill.