Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:48:27 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Thomas Bader <thomasb@trash.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Migrating from Linux to FreeBSD...

Hello Thomas,
> If I'm right, FreeBSD uses MD5 to encrypt the passwords in
> master.passwd.  But under Linux, the passwords are just
> crypted using crypt() (provided by libcrypt) in /etc/shadow.

Ouch. No way to get FreeBSD to recognize the DES passwords and
change them to MD5 as the user logs in first after the migration?
Or just use DES ones?

> You may set a new password to the non priviledged users.
> They can change it to whatever they like (and to whatever's
> quiet secure).

Impossible as the users don't have shell access. In fact, we only use
those accounts for FTP, quotas and some accounting stuff. Will have to
think a bit about how I could sell a password change to the
users ("Improved security, now 16 char passwds"?)...

Though for many accounts, there should be PGPed and thus
recoverable versions of the passwords but for some they'll surely lack
(one might argue if this is secure but...) I think I'll have to go that
path in future anyway as it's the only chance to migrate between systems with
different password encryption algorythms without assigning new passwords
which would most likely kill our support staff ;-).

> You should rebuild them, I think.  It's better to do so.
> But remember, you need to compile your own kernel to use
> quotas.

Well, that one would work. Would make some work but it should work.

Best regards,
 Gabriel