Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:56:37 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Brantley Hobbs <geekopus@negia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows 98 and PPP-auto

In the last episode (Feb 24), Brantley Hobbs said:
> I have the BSD box set up as the gateway to my ISP and PPP set to -auto
>
> My problem is this:  Windows 98 generates packets all the time which
> makes the BSD box dial out and stay online forever.  (I only have one
> phone line.) I know it's not the BSD box, because when the Win
> machine isn't connected, the connection is made only when I request
> it. (After I killed sendmail -q ;-) I realize that this is a Windoze
> problem, but I am hoping that someone out there has discovered a
> solution to this.

Run "tcpdump -n -i tun0" to print all the packets going out over your
PPP link.  Determine which packets are the offending win95 packets,
then in your ppp.conf, add some "set filter dial" lines blocking those
packets from triggering a dialout.  There are some examples in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com