Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:13:10 +0200
From:      "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?=" <rinunez@telcel.net.ve>
Cc:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xdm

> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> I was reading "The Complete FreeBSD" book from Greg Lehey, and I just
> installed X11 with no problem.
>
> The problem is that I installed "xdm" as the book says... I mean:
>
> 1) I added the following line to "/etc/ttys":
> ttyv4 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

It's supposed to be ttyv3.

Do yourself a favour and rather start xdm from rc.local.  Starting
from the tty's is not a good idea. If you don't believe me, this is from the FAQ
#6.17 :

6.17. How do I start XDM from the /etc/ttys file ?

Starting xdm via /etc/ttys is a Bad Thing. I don't know why this crept into some README file.

Start it from your rc.local, and be explicit about how it has to start. If this is your last action in rc.local, put a
``sleep 1'' behind, to allow xdm to properly daemonize before the rc shell exits.

xdm should be started without any arguments (i.e., as a daemon).

NOTE: A previos version of this FAQ told you to add the vt you want X to use to the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file. This is not necessary: X will use the first free vt it finds.

pierre

--
Pierre van Leeuwen

E-mail : pvl@nanoteq.com