Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:21:23 -0300
From:      Martin Lopreiato <martin.lopreiato@gmail.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forging ipv6 addresses?

hi,

On Feb 16, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Martin Lopreiato wrote:
> > note: if i use a configured address, my code works perfectly. so the
> > error message i'm getting when trying to forge an ipv6 address does
> > not seem to be related to a bug in my code.
>
> You're not trying to send this traffic from a jail, by any chance?

no.

Consider using PCAP/BPF interface or a wrapper like libnet....

pcap/bpf wouldn't do: i'd have to take care of neighbor-discovery and
routing myself. libnet would probably do, but.. hey! it's a simple ipv6
packet. and at this point, i'm curious about whether there's a limitation on
the addresses you can "forge" with sendmsg()

fwiw, linux seems to have an ipv6 version of ipv5}4 hdrinclude socket
option. that's nice, too.

thanx,
/m