Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:21:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Objective C in current?

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> 	I'm looking at porting the GNUstep stuff over to FreeBSD. They have
> some patches to the Objective C runtime to make it thread safe, plus a few
> other things. Have these patches been applied to our ObjectiveC?

The Objective C I just committed (hours ago) is a Objective C to C
converter, and can't be called Objective C due to copyright infringement
problems, with the Next product, and maybe with the GNU thing also.
David Stes, the author or objc (as he calls it) is very actively
developing it at :

http://www.can.nl/~stes/

I committed 1.12, but he's up to 1.14 now.  It changes _real_ quickly.
I will likely update it again this weekend.  His effort needs a binary of
his objc to compile objc, which was some bother generating, but now that
it's made, moving to the newer version is completely trivial (as long as
you start at one of the binaries I made as a boot step).

The bother was making the initial binaries, the port I made is really
trivial, and you don't really need it if you want to see his latest.  Get
the binary (either via my port or his web page), then get his latest
source, configure, and install.

Thinking about it, you probably (for the GNU stuff) want to use the GNU
compiler for Objective C.  I don't know if you'd want to use objc or not,
but it's _far, far_ smaller.

> 	Stephen
> --
>   The views expressed above are not those of WorkCover Queensland, Australia.
>
>     "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
>      the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
>      this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |