Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:57:41 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

Juli Mallett wrote:
> * De: Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org> [ Data: 2002-10-28 ]
> 	[ Subjecte: Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld. ]
>
>>Peter Wemm wrote:
>>
>>>Due to sigaction(2) syscall number changes, doing a 'make installworld'
>>>without having booted a new kernel would be rather messy.  For example, if
>>>you tried to reboot with the old kernel, /sbin/init and /bin/sh would get a
>>>signal and abort. That would be bad.
>>
>>Does this apply to ports as well?  GNOME applications have started
>>crashing a lot all of a sudden after updating my kernel (I haven't done
>>'installworld' yet).  Do I need to rebuild all the GNOME stuff, or
>>should I just back off to my previous kernel and wait a little while
>>longer before doing another cvsup?
>

> Really?  My GNOME apps built from 2 months (up to 2 hours) ago have been
> working better as I run kernel+world nearer to the impending release.

Mine had been working quite well up until this weekend.  Only two things
changed on my system: the kernel and the freetype2 port version (it's now
freetype2-2.1.2_1).  I'm running GNOME 2.0, so it may have some
instability due to growing pains.  However, I have been running GNOME 2
since the (excellent) ports team got it working on FreeBSD--the problems
only began this weekend.

> What sorts of problems are you running into?

Nearly all GNOME applications crash with an "Abort trap" error, and the
only way I can log out is to restart the X server.  Nautilus is
particularly evil because it can get into a situation where it crashes,
restarts itself, and crashes again--repeating the process indefinitely.

 > Also, how old was your
> kernel, and how old is your userland?

Userland and old kernel are from October 13.  I built the new kernel
Friday evening.  I booted my Oct 13 kernel this morning, and the GNOME
crashes are persisting, so I think my original diagnosis was wrong.  I
think I'll try to back off to the previous freetype2 revision and see if
that fixes things.

 > With no more info, I'd prolly
> advise you to update everything to the latest, and if problems persist,
> rebuild your GNOME stuff, and if problems persist, throw exception...

I may do so if backing off freetype2 doesn't fix things.

> But the latter bits of that are a bit drastic, depending on the hw!

I'll manage.  :)  These are the pains of living on the bleeding edge.

  -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2274 Howe Hall Room 2624