Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:32:57 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   RE: NE2000 compat??

	Well, let's put it this way... every machine on my network has an SMC NIC
(with the exception of my HP NetServer which has an Intel chipset on the
motherboard).  I've got PCI and ISA SMC NICs going, without a hitch.  8216C,
while being a tired old warrior, performs admirably as a 10 Base T card.
The 9432TX is a PCI one step below SMC's server series of cards.  The 1211TX
and the 1244TX are both, I believe, based on the RealTek chipset (another
major caveat, RealTek-based NICs are good to avoid, of course, YMMV).

> 		If nothing else, I'll go for the Intel card since
> 		lots of people use it.

	Can't go wrong with it.  SMCs do perform admirably as well.

--- Andy