Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:18:20 +0200
From:      "Peter Salvage" <wizard@sybaweb.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cron question - emailing and cycling Exim maillog

Hi all

I use Exim 3.16 as our MTA and would like to email the daily log to a remote
mailbox, then cycle the logfile. There is an utility included in the distro
of Exim, called exicyclog, which accomplishes the cycling...

I've read the Exim utilities man page on exicyclog and have created a
crontab file called "exim" in /var/cron/tabs which contains the following
line:
1 0 * * * /usr/exim/bin/exicyclog

This calls the log cycling script just after midnight every day which
renames the log to mainlogx where x is an integer from 1 to a predetermined
maximum, defaulting to 10. So far so good...

But...(there's always a but), I would like to also be able to set up a cron
job to email the logfile daily, just before running the exicyclog script.

If the exicyclog is incrementing the log by 1 every time it's run, how would
I instruct cron to mail the day's log???

TIA
/wiZZ