Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:23:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kate Dawson <k4t@3msg.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ZFS file server with SSD HDD

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017, Kate Dawson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently running a FreeBSD NFS server with a zpool comprising
>
> 12 x 1TB hard disk drives are arranged as pairs of mirrors in a strip set ( RAID 10 )
>
> An additional 2x 960GB SSD added. These two SSD are partitioned with a
> small partition begin used for a ZIL log, and larger partion arranged for
> L2ARC cache.

For FreeNAS, we recommend against using sharing an SSD like this.  In
fact, we recommend against using one SSD for anything more than a single
SLOG for a single pool.  To be effective, this needs to be a low-latency
SSD, and I/O contention with other shared partitions on the same device
can negate the performance benefit.