Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:24:48 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: where did make.conf go?

At 10:45 PM 8.6.2002 -0700, Desmond Lee wrote:
>Hi there
>
>I'm trying to do a 'mergemaster -p' before i do 'make installworld'. I'm
>trying to upgrade from 4.4 to 4.6. I messed up some files in /etc/ so i just
>got them from the source tree from the release 4.4 and copied them into the
>/etc/ dir (except for the group and master.passwd files,... i just left
>thoes as is).
>
>So, i execute 'mergemaster -p' and it says that the /etc/group and
>/etc/master.passwd files are good, but it says it can't find /etc/make.conf.
>Should i just use /etc/default/make.conf?
>
>Thanks
>
>Desmond

Before doing this kind of work, a backup is essential of /etc to /etc.old
so you can easily recover. I suppose by now, you are learning this lesson
the hard way.

On the "/etc/make.conf" file, you have to create it so it overrides the
/etc/defaults/make.conf. It is a VERY important file as it affects your
"makes"..... hmmm...."make.conf" is an apt name.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net