Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do you guys do?

Nik Clayton wrote:
> Hi chaps,
>
> Some of you have probably seen the discussion over on -committers.
>
> What the hell are you guys doing, anyway :-) ?

Hahaha.  I actually missed that flamewar on -committers it seems.  What a
pity.  At the moment, I think that work on libh has kind of stalled as people
have been drawn off into various projects.  The individual most familiar
with the code is Alexander Langer (alex).  The other people who have
worked with the code at least some that I know of so far are
Neil Blakey-Milner (nbm), C. Stephen Gunn, and myself (jhb).

What is libh?

Well, as best as I can tell, libh is a wrapper that allows tcl scripts to
run in a sort of sandbox and interface to other libraries.  Also, sandboxes
can create other sandboxes that are children of themselves.  Sandboxes can
be restricted, and a child sandbox can never have more privilege than its
parent.  For example, when a package is installed, it runs in a sandbox.
The generic package installer might create a more restricted sandbox to run
an installation script that is included with an individual package.

Some of the stock libraries that come with libh that can be called from the
Tcl scripts include a generic user interface library, which uses Turbo
Vision for its console backend, and Qt for its X11 backend.  Additional
backends can be added if people would prefer that.  As far as I know, the
new libh also includes a new package system that uses Zip archives and
various per-package scripts among other things.  It also includes the
beginnings of a new sysinstall, and a couple of example scripts.  One of the
example Tcl scripts is a spiffy partition editor.

The current focus is cleaning up the actual libh internal libs and getting
them working.  They were originally written for early 3.x, and have suffered
from some bitrot.  There is also very little documentation, although some
has been added.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/