Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 07:59:19 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        time.cdrom.com!jkh@dg-rtp.dg.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK!  Time out on 4MB issue please!

> Sorry to have aroused so much ire, folks!  But try and see this a
> little bit from my perspective, if you will.  I have seen this demon
> pop up in *every* release since 2.0, to be fought grudgingly back each
> time.  The day will come when we run entirely out of options if we
> keep going on this way, but perhaps I can forestall that for just a
> little while longer with 2.1.  I will try to implement a few of the
> suggestions that folks have sent me over the last few days for
> shrinking the kernel back below 1MB for 2.1.  This should bring the
> 4MB folks back.
>
> I will not be anywhere near as sympathetic about this come 2.2 time,
> so I hope that the "small memory" advocates can get the all-singing,
> all-dancing dynamic load/unload device driver mechanism put together
> by then! :-)
>
> 					Jordan

 Just so I can understand this...

 The 4meg limit is hit because use MFS to do the install - or because
the kernel, after being unzipped, is too large to fit.

 If we were to use a different method than MFS, could we then operate?

 Personally, although the current install is rather slick - I didn't
mind the previous method(s).

 Now that I'm back from my hiatus, I wouldn't mind getting together
with the "small memory" advocates and investigating this.  I can set
up an ancient 386 with a small WD drive and 4 megs of memory (and
a 1.2 floppy :-) ) to run experiments.

	- Dave Rivers -