Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 95 10:05:39 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, phk@ref.tfs.com, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

>    The VTEXT flag is only set on exec()'d files. Shared libraries aren't
> exec()'d. If you clobber the data in a shared library file, any processes
> which are currently using them will likely die. ...but install unlinks the
> target first, so this should happen.

This still bugs the hell out of me.  Clearly, if one of the dubious
"benefits" of memory overcommit (besides not being able to do decent
system dumps or software based power management) is the ability to
get "Text file busy" messages out the ying-yang, then you should get
them for any pages mapped as executable.

And this includes shared libraries.

WHY isn't the VTEXT flag set on anything mmap'ed as executable, like
shared libraries or dlopen targets?

Enquiring minds want to know...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu