Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:41:19 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to mirror a geli partition?

--------------enig78FEF9148CFAA187314D1EF0

Christian Baer wrote:

> This is actually the biggest problem I am facing. In what order do I do=

> this? I was thinking along this way:
> 1 - Create partions and try to get them the same size. :-)
> 2 - Fill one (or both?) with random data.
> 3 - Make a geli provider out of one of them, newfs it.
> 4 - Do something like 'gmirror label -v -b load secret 1.eli'
>     and 'gmirror insert 2.eli'
> I am not sure if I should reverse the order of 3 and 4. Or have I gotte=
> the whole idea wrong?
>=20

First mirror the partitions and then create geli drive on top of it. If
you do it the other way (encrypt each of the partition separately), you
will be asked for password twice and each drive will (AFAIK) get its own
internal key even if you use the same password (I'm not sure about that
one, though).