Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 06:35:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video capture driver interface to file system?

> I was actually believing that it would cover the uiomove() time as
> well, which looked to be the worst offender.  Some more study tells
> me this was wrong, so yes, I'd have to agree that a user-space
> application is probably going to perform nearly as well.

I'm assuming DMA directly into the user buffer via physio for a
raw transfer.  I use "raw transfer" always to mean directly to user
buffers.  I guess I need to use "cooked" or "psuedo-raw" transfers
to describe transfers that uiomove indirectly through kernel buffers.

>From Amancio's brief description I assume the device is capable of
DMAing to anywhere in PCI memory.  The only cool optimization
I can think of is to use non-ascending transfers to DMA directly
to a SCSI controller's data FIFO ... but we'll talk about that when
we're trying to do 40MB/second to a disk array.  (I've done exactly
that in an HDTV research application four years back, though it
was only 20MB/sec).

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936