Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev entries for NIC's

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Marty Poulin wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > 	In a previous post I mentioned that the lack of a device entry in
> > /dev for an ethernet card might be a symptom of trouble. Someone was kind
> > enough to mention to me off list that not only is it not a sign of
> > trouble, but NIC's (Network Interface Cards) never have /dev entries. :)
> > My apologies for any confusion caused.
> >

> If I can add $0.02 - this is precisely why the charter for this list
> doesn't want people to ask questions here.

	No, it isn't actually. The "reasons" for not wanting people to ask
questions here revolve entirely around other issues.

> Ask a bunch of newbies a
> question, and you'll get a bunch of different answers, all of them
> potentially wrong.

	The same thing is true of asking in -questions. There are a lot of
wrong answers there, however the peer review process is more rigorous.

> I can understand wanting to help, but the best way to help someone in a
> situation like this is to point them to -questions where they can expect a
> more experienced level of support.

	A) I'm hardly what you'd call a new user. B) My original post DID
tell the user to direct his questions to -questions. C) What I said in my
post was that the absence of the /dev entry *may* represent a problem, but
that he should really follow up on that in -questions because I was not
familiar enough with the issue to give him a confident answer. My purpose
in providing a clarification was to help make sure that no one was misled
by my misplaced apprehensions.

	Lately this list has been turning into one pissing contest after
another, and the whole tone of it is entirely inappropriate. The purpose
of this list is to provide support and encouragement to new users, not to
give people a chance to pound one another over the head with their
whopping months of experience. My suggestion is that if you can't find
better things to do with your time than to publicly criticize people who
actually are helping, simply refrain from posting till you can.

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"