Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:37:27 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating EXACT image of a CD

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > I never like to use the original cd, I always use a backup...
> > But it wont let me, do you have any idea how it knows its different
> > from the original and how I can fix that?
>
> no idea, sorry.

Yeah no problem... I think they must do something to a sector on the disk
so that its not readable, but there is no data there, and somehow it checks
for this to make sure its the real cd...

using dd you get all the data, but it doesnt copy the special sector, infact
it seems to cause dd to ether generate and error or go into a read loop that
it wont get out of even with a kill -9...

There must be some tool that can just make an image, even of whatever tricks
they do with sectors... Its so damn annoying not being able to make working
backups of cd's these days!

In my country its a consumers right to be able to make a backup copy... They
seem to be making it very hard to use this right...