Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 22:18:07 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW

Ok thanks.  All TCP is open, but now it still uses >1023.

1)   I don't know how to enable all ports above 1023
2)   If I do that, what's the point of disabling all of UDP?

Thanks anyways!
Dima

At 08:08 AM 5/2/98 +0300, you wrote:
>On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 09:14:44PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm trying to deny UDP to my whole network, except DNS.  I am using IPFW,
>> and Bind 8.1.1.  Here are my rules:
>>
>> ipfw add 1 allow udp from any to 192.168.77.2 53
>  ipfw add 1 allow udp from 192.168.77.2 53 to any       <----- Add this
>> ipfw add 2 deny udp from any to any
>>
>> It still doesn't work.  DNS doesn't get through.  I heard that bind uses
>> wired addresses which it isn't allowed to use, but 8.1.1 fixed that with a
>> line in the named.conf file.  I added that line, but it still seems to be
>> responding on 138, 1050, 1051, ...
>>
>> Has anyone had any luck with this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>I'd suggest you to open TCP 53 port too. Here is what the FAQ says:

>Question 2.18.  DNS ports
>
>Date: Fri Feb 10 15:40:10 EST 1995
>
>The following table shows what TCP/UDP ports DNS uses to send and  receive
>queries:
>
>   Prot Src   Dst   Use
>   udp  53    53    Queries between servers (eg, recursive queries)
>                    Replies to above
>   tcp  53    53    Queries with long replies between servers, zone
>                    transfers Replies to above
>   udp  >1023 53    Client queries (sendmail, nslookup, etc ...)
>   udp  53    >1023 Replies to above
>   tcp  >1023 53    Client queries with long replies
>   tcp  53    >1023 Replies to above
>
>   Note: >1023 is for non-priv ports on Un*x clients. On other client
>         types, the limit may be more or less.
>
>Another point to keep in mind when designing filters for DNS is that a DNS
>server uses port 53 both as the source and destination for it's queries.
>So, a client queries an initial server from an unreserved port number to
>UDP port 53.  If the server needs to query another server to get the
>required info, it sends a UDP query to that server with both source and
>destination ports set to 53.  The response is then sent with the same
>src=53 dest=53 to the first server which then responds to the original
>client from port 53 to the original source port number.
>
>The point of all this is that putting in filters to only allow UDP between
>a high port and port 53 will not work correctly, you must also allow the
>port 53 to port 53 UDP to get through.
>
>Also, ALL versions of BIND use TCP for queries in some cases.  The
>original query is tried using UDP.  If the response is longer than the
>allocated buffer, the resolver will retry the query using a TCP
>connection.  If you block access to TCP port 53 as suggested above, you
>may find that some things don't work.
>
>Newer version of BIND allow you to configure a list of IP addresses from
>which to allow zone transfers.  This mechanism can be used to prevent
>people from outside downloading your entire namespace.

---
Dima Dorfman (dima@apc.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft $ucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/