Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:54:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggested change to apache port

I've received a request to port the perl5 Apache module (integrates perl
into the server for CGI's and modules).  It would be a pretty easy task,
but in order to build mod_perl.o, I need to Apache source files.

The existing apache port doesn't install the source files anywhere.  I
realize that this is against the standard for ports, but I think that in
the case of Apache, we have a valid case for doing so.

Every time you want to install a new module into Apache, you have to
re-compile the server.  Without the source tree, this means once of two
things:

- fetching the distfile yourself, unpacking it, and building a new httpd
binary (which works, but you lose the changes that the patch files made to
the original source tree)

- doing a make patch on the port, then adding your module-specific stuff,
and doing a make install.  This retains the same changes to the code as
the port makes, but is still rather messy.

Installing the source tree into /usr/local/src (would that fit the
BSD religion?) or some other defined directory would overcome this
problem.  Usually, the only file that is locally changed when you are
adding modules is src/Configuration, so even if you installed the port,
added a few modules and then installed an upgrade to the port on top, the
only file you would have to re-do is Configuration.

The only other way I can think to make this work is define a Makefile
variable for p5-Apache like so;

APACHE_VERSION=1.2b8

MASTER_SITES+=	ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/
DISTFILES+=	apache_${APACHE_VERSION}.tar.gz

Then doing my own extract and build based upon the newly fetched distfile.
That seems really backward though.

--
j.