Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 10:28:17 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Removing file(1)+libmagic(3) from the base system

--YToU2i3Vx8H2dn7O

On Wednesday, 23 May 2007 at 12:59:33 -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> [070523 11:05] wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Colin Percival wrote:
>>
>>> FreeBSD architects and file(1) maintainer,
>>>
>>> I'd like to remove file(1) and libmagic(3) from the FreeBSD base system
>>>
>>> Can anyone make a strong argument for keeping this code in the base system?
>>
>> Yes, because other OS's have it (file) in their base, and because
>> it is a POSIX-defined utility.  Please consider this a strong no.
>
> I agree with Daniel.

<aol>
Me too!
</aol>

One of the most stupid things I know in the Microsoft space is to
identify files by external features such as their name; IIRC this has
opened the way for trojans such as executables posing as images, etc.
The obvious alternative is the "UNIX way": identify the files by their
content, not their name.  And that's precisely the purpose of
file(1).  Removing it seems counterproductive.

Greg

--YToU2i3Vx8H2dn7O

--YToU2i3Vx8H2dn7O--