Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:42:33 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Chris Costello wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:30:31 -0500
> From: Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
> To: Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: DoS from local users
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 1999, Dmitry Valdov wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Try it:
> >
> > cat > qqq
> > echo $$
> > echo ~/qqq|~/qqq|~/qqq|~/qqq|~/qqq
> >
> > Ctrl-D
> >
> > ./qqq
> >
> > Is there Any way to fix it?
>
>    You typically want to set a restriction as to how many
> processes a user can spawn.  This is done by editing
> /etc/login.conf and changing the user's login class, see the man
> page for 'login.conf'.

I'm about CPU usage, not about many processes.
See:
CPU states: 17.8% user,  0.0% nice, 81.7% system,  0.5% interrupt,  0.0%
idle
on any (tested on P2-45) machine.

CPU is used by SYSTEM, not by USER. So I can't restrict it with login.conf
And load average can be up to 20-40 :(

Please don't redirect me to -questions, it's a kernel problem, not just
config.

Dmitry.