Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 21:44:36 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Graphical Shell (my ideas)

Hey all!

The other day I was at work doing my thing, and waiting for 4:30 to come
(going home time).  Well, I was thinking about Unix, Graphics, and  Unix
GUI's.  I was thinking....okay, there's a Bourne shell, C shell, Korn
shell, etc.  Why wasn't a graphical shell created?  A Graph Shell perhaps?

Sure that's what X was created for, to provide for the gaphical user
interface type system.  Although, I always though it was kind of awkward of
a system - I mean you can start it from a shell session with `startx` or
you can use the `xdm` thing at boot-up (which doesn't seem like a bad idea,
although I never have tried it that way).

Well, back to my "graphical shell"... You know how there's an entry in your
passwd file that initiates the shell that you like when you log in...well
this "graphical shell" would also be started up this way.  It could be
called: guish or something.

So anyways...when you log in the "graphical shell" starts up and you can do
your GUI stuff there.  I think this graphical shell should be like X and a
Window Manager combined. I was thinking something like KDE and X put into
one.  The biggest problem I see with this is the X servers for each video
card there is.  I mean...you can't have a "graphical shell" program for
practically every video card on the market right?

Hmmm, maybe the "shell" can start an X-like process (a child process) to
provide all the graphical stuff.  Anyways...so this graphical shell would
provide all the window widgets and stuff like that.  All the configurations
would be kept in it's own directory within the users home directory.  Sort
of like an *rc file pretty much, but alot more than that.  I like the way
KDE does it, although it can use some streamlining I think.

Well, I decided to post this "vision" of mine to the newbies list because I
figured newbies might like GUI's.  And maybe I can get some feedback to my
wacky idea.

Just keep in mind that I'm not a programmer (not yet at least), and I don't
know the technical inner workings of Unix.  Although, I'm
learning....slowly. :/  heh

Well, take care.

Joey