Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:20:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Rod <rod@predictivedialers.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP 4500 laser printer (plain or 4500N) will it work?

Hi everyone!

For the company I work for (I got them to switch to FreeBSD, a win for
us!) we have decided we need a workgroup colour laser printer.

After looking at what's out there that fits in our budget The HP 4500
is our only choice.

However, I have read in Usenet that FreeBSD 3.0 does not support Parallel
ECP(forgive my terminonlogy) bidirectional printers. (the 4500 has an ECP
parallel port)

If that is accurate I was thinking I would connect the printer as a
network printer and talk to it through tcp/ip. Which would be the HP 4500N
model-- a little more expensive but worth it if I knew it would work.

Could someone give me some guidence?  If I can't use FreeBSD I could put
it on a windoze machine but that is not desirable.  Worse, the new boss is
really pushing that we switch to Red Hat as he feels it will support more
equipment.

Thank you for your comments!

Rod