Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:20:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        FREEBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Memory usage on NFS server

>    2.2-970420-RELENG on an NFS server that does only that.  The ~20
>processes normally running on the machine add up to less than 10MB,
>yes `top' reports that 78MB is "active".  I would have though most of
>the memory would be allocated as cache (which is only reported at
>25MB).  Am I interpreting the numbers incorrectly?
>Mem: 78M Active, 4984K Inact, 17M Wired, 25M Cache, 8343K Buf, 616K Free

   The numbers lie; don't believe them. :-) It's not as simple as looking
at the "cache" number - pages in "active" and "inactive" are also part of
the file cache. I know this makes it very difficult to see how much memory
is actually available for caching...I have the same problem on wcarchive.
We need to provide an additional metric, but I don't know at the moment
how to create the desired information (it's difficult and perhaps impossible
in the current architecture).

-DG

David Greenman