Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:04:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Shashi Dookhee <shashi@trafficproximity.com>
To:        Marcelo Leal <leal@myway.com.br>
Cc:        John Capo <jc@irbs.com>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AUTOBOOT!!!

Odd...  Have you checked the syslog (messages) to see if you are not
actually experiencing a kernel panic?  FreeBSD would autoboot on kernel
panic.  Also, if this is a public machine, it's possible (altho unlikely)
you have some kind of Trojan/Virus and someone is either manually doing it
remotely, or it's a malicious "virus" set to do it automatically.

FreeBSD is not meant to reboot all by itself, unless you have a Watchdog
timer on it (which I doubt you have!)...

Thanks

S.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Marcelo Leal wrote:

> Hi,
>  sorry by the english... but... how can i fix the AUTOBOOT???
>  my FreeBSD 4.2 (mail server) are booting when it wants!  is it normal?
> default??? The implemantation for AUTOBOOT is for what??? i  don't believe
> it! The uptime of that box is one day... three days... and REBOOT...
> help, how can i fix it??
>
> thanks!!!

Mr Shashi Dookhee
Head of IT Infrastructure

Tel: (020) 7298 8222
Fax: (020) 7298 1050
Mob: (07803) 760 315
Email: dookhee.s@trafficproximity.com

Traffic Proximity Limited
191 Old Marylebone Road
London
NW1 5DW
United Kingdom
Registered number: 3164767
Registered in England

Tel:	+44 (0) 20 7298 8200
Fax:	+44 (0) 20 7298 8201

This email its contents and any files or images with it are intended solely
for the addressee(s) and are confidential. If you have received this email
in error you may not copy or use the contents, attachments or information in
any way. Please destroy it and contact the sender on the number printed
above, via the Traffic Proximity switchboard or via email return.

DISCLAIMER
Material contained in this email may be copyright material of
Traffic Proximity or protected by other intellectual property rights. It
may only be reproduced with the express permission of Traffic Proximity.
Traffic Proxmity does not accept responsibility for any changes made to
this email by unauthorised parties after it was sent. Whilst Traffic
Proximity runs antivirus software on all Internet emails it is not
liable for any loss or damage caused by an infected email. The recipient
is advised to run their own antivirus software. All information contained
in this email has been prepared using information believed by the author
to be reliable and accurate, but Traffic Proximity makes no warranty as
to accuracy and completeness. Any opinions expressed in this email are
those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Traffic
Proximity or its affiliates.