Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:05:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wonko the Sane (Brian Hechinger) <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, busy@primenet.com, jvanvleet@sei-it.com, msquires@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu
Subject:   ALR 6x6

ok, i got three mails on this subject, so i'm going to group them all together.

my original message:

>>it holds 6 Pentium Pro CPUs, 4GB RAM, built in AIC-7880, blah blah blah
>>
>>anyone ever use one of these?  does FreeBSD SMP handle >4 CPUs?
>>
>>i don't have a lot of info about this mobo, but i can get one for $55, is it
>>worth it? (i want to build a multi-CPU PPro machine)
>>
>>thanks for all your help.
>>
>>-wonko
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm familiar with ALR's.  I have two, one with two PPro 200's.  Several
>clients have them too.  You're going to need the voltage regulator boards
>that go with each of the cpu's.  The only source I could find was ALR

ick.

>before they were converted to Gateway.  I bought two cpu's from ALR last
>year for $700 apiece.  One word of warning, the cpu's are not marked with

$700? ick.  can i put just any PPro CPU on this thing? (they go for under $100
each these days)

>the stepping number and on these boards, they must match or the smp process
>goes haywire.

hmm, is there an easy way to check the CPU stepping?  (aside from plugging them
in to find out they don't work?)

>ALR's boards are very fast if you can populate them.

excellent.

>It wouldn't hurt to call Gateway at 1-800-444-4ALR (1-800-444-4257) and ask
>about it.

i think i'll do that.  thanks for the number.

>Regards,
>Richard

thanks richard.

next email:

>    First of all, http://www.vanvleet.net/alrbase.html has all the
>information that I have collected about this system, including dmesg output.

excellent page, i think you and i will be talking a lot. :)

>I currently have it running with 4 CPUs with no troubles at all.  Really a
>great machine, but you may have to spend some time on the case and power
>supply issues if you don't have access to one.  It's running 3.3-RELEASE.  I

good, FreeBSD, no of that Linux Weenie crap. :)  i've got a variety of old
server cases laying around (old Sun3 hardware, etc, HUGE power supplies)
and i should have no problem fitting it in the cases either (if all else fails
i'm SURE it will fit in the VAX 11/750 case. *grin*)

>hope to have a couple of CPUs in the next few weeks to see how 6 CPUs work,
>but since the chipset was never supposed to support it, I'm putting the odds
>at 50-50.

i would be VERY interested to know how this turns out since this is what i'm
really interested in.

>    Also, $55 is a great price if it includes all of the extra cards (CPU,
>RAM, and keyboard).

i don't think so, it may just be only the mainboard, i'll have to ask.

>-James Van Vleet

thanks James, like i said, i think we'll be talking a lot.

>P.S.  I don't know if this goes to the mailing list or not.  If it doesn't,
>please forward it there as I am not a subscriber.

i'll do that for you.

next email: [from Mike Squires who didn't sign or i cut by mistake]

>Be careful to get the riser cards - the motherboard by itself is not useful,
>and I suspect that the power supply connections are not standard.

as james pointed out the power supply connectors are all wacky. YEA!!

>I've seen a note that says the 6-way motherboards use a hack to fool the
>OS into thinking that it's a 4-way motherboard; however, at least one of
>the vendors is giving away RedHat with the board.

hmm, i'll try to talk to ALR/Gateway and see what i can come up with about this.

thanks for all your help everybody.

-wonko
--
ps: someone asked about eBay, but i accidentally deleted that.  yes, this is
one of four boards as sold on eBay.