Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:11:25 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Jerry Bell <jerry@bellnetworks.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW Improvements. (comments?)

Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Jerry Bell wrote:
>
> > I have a few proposed additions to IPFW that I'd like to get feedback
> > on.  The changes are mostly from my experience with other (commercial)
> > firewalls.
> >
> > Change source and destination identifier in the rule processing from one
> > IP address (or range of addresses) to an array of IP addresses (or range
> > of IP addresses).  This allows for a more manageable rulebase.
> > ex.  ipfw add pass all from 10.0.0.1/24,10.0.1.0/24 to
> > 10.0.0.1/24,10.0.1.0/24
> > The real advantage is being able to do somethine like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > dnservers=10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2,10.0.0.3
> > smtpservers=10.0.0.4,10.0.0.5,10.0.0.6
> > ipfw add pass udp from any to $dnservers 53
> > ipfw add pass tcp from any to $smtpservers 25
> >
> > ... and so on.
> but you need to store this somewhere..
> the present system of fixed structures doesn't support this without an
> enormous waste of space...I'm not sure how useful it would be in
> practice..
>
> It would require rewriting of large parts of the code, not to mention a
> complete rewrite of the interface and user program.
> This is the kind of thing that is easy to say to a human and a bitch to
> implement.

Yes. Besides:

#!/bin/sh
dnservers=10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.3
smtpserver=10.0.0.4 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.6
for addr in $dnservers
	do
	ipfw add pass udp from any to $addr 53
	done
for addr in $smtpservers
	do
	ipfw add pass tcp from any to $addr 25
	done

After all, it's *sh* you are running. It has power.

> This can already be done with a daemon without
> any ipfw changes..
>
> The daemon adds a rule to allow itself to be connected to.
> When it get's a successful authentication, it
> adds more rules to allow the successful user in.

Yup. See divert.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"People call him Neutron Star, 'cuz his so dense lights bends
around him."