Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 01:44:39 -0700
From:      "Allan Stokes" <astokes@direct.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   wanted: driver for Xircom PE3 (pocket ethernet III parallel port adaptor)

Hi there,

Today I installed FreeBSD on a monochrome 486 with no PCMCIA slots--and so
far I'm quite impressed with the ease of use.

There are two small problems.

One is that I've lost all my power-saving hot keys (and I especially miss
the one that shuts down the noisy hard drive).  Is there any utility that
would restore my power-management functionality.  My notebook is based on a
TI 3000 design.

I'd also like to be able to network this machine to my local NT server.  I
have a PE3 parallel port ethernet adaptor that should do the trick.  I've
successfully used it under an operating system too disgusting to name.

However, I haven't been able to find much driver support for Xircom devices
for an UNIX or Linux flavour.  The Xircom web site claims that there exists
a SCO driver.  Is there any chance that FreeBSD could run the PE3 SCO
driver, and does anyone out there have any experience with this driver.

Failing that, is it possible to get a network connection using a parallel
port cable?  What driver would I need to install under NT to make this
possible.

Please respond via e-mail.

Allan Stokes
Victoria, B.C.