Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      orville weyrich <weyrich_comp@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

See below
--- Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee> wrote:

> orville weyrich wrote:
>
> > In any event, the example shown in the link lacks
> > context. Is the failed drive named data1?
> > It is automagically replaced by a new drive named
> > data3?
>
> In all cases I've replaced a failed drive, I have
> named the new drive
> the same as old drive.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

That solved HALF my problem (i.e, it allowed me to
revive one of my two down disks.  This also shows that
vinum CAN handle a fault in both plexes at the same
time.

BUT BUT BUT

I still have another problem -- the same trick does
not work for the OTHER down disk.

vinum-<dumpconfig shows:

sd name raid.p0.s9 drive *invalid* plex raid.p0 len
4402583s driveoffset 265s state crashed plexoffset 0s

Note the "invalid" where the name of my disk should
be.

Apparently VINUM has forgotten that raid.p0.s9 should
be associated with the disk named ahc0t15, so creating
a new disk named ahc0t15 does not associate with the
necessary subdisk.  (*nvalid* does not work as a disk
name).

How do I deal with THIS issue?