Date:      23 Jan 2003 09:02:15 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        Martyn Hill <m.hill@stjamessengirls.org.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subnetting or Bridging to secure different dapartments on our School LAN?

"Martyn Hill" <m.hill@stjamessengirls.org.uk> writes:

> Dear all
>
> I'd be very grateful for any insights you could share...
>
> Our school network continues to grow. Different departments within the
> school wish to piggy-back their windows machines on to our broadband
> internet connection, via our 100Mbps wired LAN within the building. Before I
> can allow anymore machines on, I need to put a measure of security in
> place - principally between the school Admin and Curriculum 'networks' and
> also between the other 3 departments who share the site with us. I was
> thinking along the lines of subnetting our existing network and applying a
> firewall between each sub-net.

I would recommend the book below. While not FreeBSD-specific, it does
contain enough information to guide you through the high-level
decisions. Once you get the policy, you can then decide on an
infrastructure, and then go to the rulesets.

#       Building Internet Firewalls, 2nd Edition
#       Brent Chapman and Elizabeth Zwicky
#
#       O'Reilly & Associates, Inc
#       ISBN 1-56592-871-7
#       http://www.ora.com/