Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 12:06:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        Josh Lynch <theron@tyme.visi.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand directory

On Sat, May 17, 1997 at 06:35:35PM -0800, Steve Howe wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 1997, Josh Lynch wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly new to BSD based systems (coming from SCO & Linux which I consider
> > more SVR4 than *BSD) I have a few general ,simple questions:
>
> > 1. Why are most binaries in the system mutiples of 512bytes? Is this because
> > the filesystem is based on disk blocks (of 512k)?
>
> yes.

No, the gcd (multiple) is 4096 and it's because of the pagesize being 4K.

> > 2. What are all the files in the /stand for/do, they seem awful big and
> > are all the same size, which is kind of odd. (to me anyway :-) )
>
> they come off boot.flp.

And when you look closer you will see that they are hard linked
and it's only about the size of a floppy that /stand is consuming.
You can use /stand/sysinstall at any time to do some post installation/
configuration. That's what it's also good for.

> > 3. Where could I find out more about the booting process (sysconfig, rc.*,
> > init , etc..) I know SVR4 pretty well, but can't seem to get a good
> > conceptual grasp on *BSD based booting.

/usr/share/doc/handbook might be a good source although it isn't necessarily
always in sync with the latest /etc/rc.xxx changes (like /etc/sysconfig
being obsolete now)

> man init and man login and follow the "SEE ALSO's".
>
> > 4. Is the 4.4BSD documentation  set (5 books) any good?
>
> yes.

No good for FreeBSD system administration if the originators question
was aiming at that.