Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:33:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        chris.smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs ATA disks

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 chris.smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> My box is thrashing badly with 30 users over telnet doing various things (cur
> specs:- 233/128M/20G ATA33 disk)!  vmstat shows that memory really isn't a
> problem (it hardly touches swap) but it's in iowait 70% of the time (excuse the
> solaris term).  It's being upped to a P2/400 with 256M RAM and a nice Asus
> board next week but is still stuck disk wise (I assume that is whats really
> causing the problems).

More memory will definately help...

> Is it worth putting a 2-4 SCSI-UW disks in instead?  If so, what is likely to
> be the best cost/performance economy:-
>
>     4 x 4.5Gb disk
>     2 x 9.1Gb disk

In my unexperienced eyes, more spindles == better performance, and even
better is to have each spindle on its own controller... so for better
performance, get 4 x 4.5Gb disks AND 4 controllers AND run vinum or ccd.

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator