Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2022 07:22:43 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, "Dan Mahoney (Ports)" <freebsd@gushi.org>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 12.4 disc 1 iso is really large

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 23:48:30 -0500, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 05:04:52AM +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 22:58:01 -0600
> > "Dan Mahoney (Ports)" <freebsd@gushi.org> wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I’m just noticing that the standard FreeBSD iso is some 959 megs:
> > >
> > > http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.4/FreeBSD-12.4-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
> > >
> > > Is there something in the release notes that basically implies we no
> > > longer expect people to burn things to actual discs?
> >
> > 	You need a DVD - it's been some time since it fitted on a CD <sigh>
> > I still remember doing installs from floppies.
>
> So... what's the point of the "disc1" image that today requires a DVD if
> there's also a "dvd" image made to be burned to a DVD?

I've been asking this ("complaining about it") in the past.
As it seems, the regular 650 MB / 700 MG size of a CD can
no longer hold a FreeBSD installation... which is strange,
because if it would be possible to reduce the amount of
packages (!) on the disc, it would be suitable for use
with CD media again, as it was in the past: The classic
"4 CDs approach" of older FreeBSD versions contained:

	CD #1 with system installation and _some_ packages

	CD #2 with a live system

	CDs #3 and #4 with all other packages

So CD #1 could always be used to install a working OS, and
you could also install some packages (like X, Midnigh Commander,
joe, vim, and other useful stuff). For the ultimate selection
of packages, discs #3 and #4 would be used (if needed), ot
the installation could continue via Internet. However, a
complete offline installation was possible.

Strange thing: The "bootonly" and "minimal install" images
intended for use with USB media _could_ fit on a CD.

Naming convention: "img" for USB images, "dvd" for DVD images,
"disc" for CD images - but probably since FreeBSD 10 or 11,
they no longer work with CDs...

Solution: Use USB and Internet. Optical media is no longer
in mainstream use, so its support will surely be dropped
altogether in the future. "Everyone has fast Internet!"

And now GET OFF MY LAWN!!! ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany