Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 10:42:32 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "Erik Trulsson" <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: Help! ppp/fetchmail/sendmail

On Wednesday, May 17, 2000 7:04 AM Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
wrote

>Not quite. The sequence of events when you get mail is bascially:
[snipped for brevity]

To summarize:

out-bound:
+---------+        +-------+        +------+
|   MUA   | ----> |  MDA | ----> |  MTA |
+---------+        +-------+        +------+
  pine                procmail         sendmail
  mutt                mail              qmail
  elm

in-bound:
+--------+         +------------+        +-----------+
|  ISP    | -----> | Fetchmail | --->  | sendmail |
+--------+         +------------+        +-----------+
                    +------+     +-------+         |
                    |  MUA |<-- |  MDA |  <----^---->  bounced / relayed
                    +------+     +-------+

Should be close (I hope)

>The advantage of procmail is that you can sort the incoming mail depending
>on the contents.
>(For example, having mail from a mailing list end up in its own mailbox
>instead of being mixed with other mail.)

Yep.... that's what I want (will have) eventually!

>>My guess is that you haven't managed to tell sendmail which
>addresses/domains are to be considered 'local' and so sendmail will just
>send the mail on.

That ain't the only thing I haven't managed to do with FBSD ;) But between
you, Jeffrey Dunitz, Salvo, Doug Young, Brian Somers and a few others ---
THANK YOU ALL -- I'll get this puppy wagging it tail pretty soon.

regards....duke