Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:53:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Halek <bsdlist@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk geometry question. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:34:07 -0500 (EST)
From: George Halek <bsdlist@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>
To: newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Disk geometry question.

I know I have a disk geometry problem because I get the "Missing Operating
System" message.

I mucked around with the geometry because I wanted to max. the usage of
the blocks. The geometry which sysinstall assigned wasted about 5M of disk
space.

I am running a AMI bios 486 with a 1G scsi drive using the Adaptec VESA
284X controller.

I tried to max the blocks by using a geometry with 1 head, 63 sectors and
some very high cylinder number. I though this was possible because SCSI
allows you to map the drive however you wish. However this does not seem
to work.

Even though I am using an ADAPTEC controller which has its own bios. Am I
still contrained by some parameters?
Eg. Boot partition within 1024 cylinders.
	64 sector max.
	17 head max.
 or anyting like that?