Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 12:17:17 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Sound driver in 2.1 / 2.2..

On Sat, September 16, 1995 at 19:35:06 (-0700), Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
 > Well, "maplay" appears to play through /dev/dsp0 now, but there are
 > tweets and farts interspersed occasionally in the music, it's like it
 > just can't keep up (this is on a P5-90).  When I symlink /dev/dsp to
 > /dev/dsp2 (cdev major 30, minor 35) then things work just great.

 > Should we just settle on /dev/dsp2 with a special MAKEDEV target
 > (sndgus?) or can Alain's patch be improved to where things sound
 > nice on /dev/dsp0?

	I just tried to point it at dsp2, and noticed that I get a device
not configured.  Odd.  I've got a GUS MAX 512K.  Anyone have any ideas?
I'm running the sound driver from current of a week ago with the gus_wave
patch and the patch that fixed maplay's functionality.  Here's cat
/dev/sndstat's output:
Sound Driver:2.90-2 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995 freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers: