Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:16:12 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Isaac Flemming <iflemmin@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NASM programs for freebsd

This probably doesn't belong on -hackers at all.

>  I am currently enrolled in college course that requires us to use the
> Netwide Assembler (NASM). This creates a small problem for me, because I
> do not have a DOS box in my room, and do not know how to get NASM to work
> the way I expect it to under FreeBSD.

Then you should probably get a DOS box, or install DOS in a dual-boot
situation.

>  I noticed that NASM is located in the ports collection so I compiled it
> and have used it to assemble the .asm assembly code I used for DOS in
> class. The assembler does not give me any errors, but I cannot seem to get
> the programs to execute.

Execute, or behave as expected?  You haven't given any sort of detail
here, so it's hard to guess, but I'd suspect that one of your problems
is or will be that you will try to do I/O to the user, and the DOS
examples you've been given won't work under FreeBSD.