Date:      17 Jul 2002 14:11:34 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   scp and non-shell accounts.

I have one system where my users have shell accounts and hang out on.  This has
an Apache server installed as a staging server.  I have another system which is
the production webserver.

I want my users to be able to transfer files to the production webserver using
scp or sftp, but not to have shell access on the production webserver.

So on the production machine, each of these users has a home directory, and a
shell of /sbin/nologin.

The problem is, this seems to trounce scp and sftp.  I get

        wibble@staging:~(1)$ scp transfer.txt wibble@prod:~
        wibble@prod's password: [type password]

        This account is currently not available. [from /sbin/nologin]
        wibble@staging:~(2)$ sftp prod
        Connecting to prod...
        wibble@prod's password: [type password]
        Received message too long 173237622
        wibble@staging:~(3)$ _

Do I really have to permit shell access for these accounts in order to use scp
or sftp?