Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 10:52:49 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu>, <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cryptographic dump(8)

Andrew,

Here is a proposal. The observant may know where the idea comes from :-) It
is more work than your idea but is more flexible and probably more secure.

How it works:

1) Every user has a Public/Private Key pair;

2) When the dump is run a random symmetric key is chosen and the data
encrypted with it. For every user who is to be allowed access to the tape,
their uid and a copy of the symmetric key which is encrypted with their
individual public key is written to a file. The file of users and encrypted
keys is written to the tape/filesystem; and

3) When restore is run the user's uid and the encrypted symmetric key are
retrieved from the keyfile. The user's private key is used to decrypt the
symmetric key which is then used to decrypt the tape.

This solution offers many benefits, including (and certainly not limited
to):

1) The symmetric key is random, and not easy to guess/break;
2) More than one user can restore the dump without actually knowing the key
used to encrypt it;
3) Ability to add/remove permission to restore an encrypted tape.

Disadvantages:

1) Requires a PKI;
2) A lot more work to implement that your proposed solution (which works
fine).

Cheers, john...