Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:02:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Disjunct subnet question

I am remotely administering a couple of FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE servers. These
machines sit on an ethernet segment that contains two /24 subnets that are
disjunct. One of these servers was originally on one subnet and is being
used as a web host, and they now want the hosted domains (all real aliased
IPs) to be from the *other* netblock, so basically, the server sits on
both subnets. I assigned aliases and everything seems to work (I can ping
hosts, log on to virtual hosts and so on) and the only thing that seems to
be unhappy is arplookup, which keeps complaining that it doesn't recognize
the address of the alternate subnet's gateway.

Is this setup kosher, and what do I need to do to make it so (and keep arp
happy)? I *can* move the server back to the same subnet as all its
intended virtual domains, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

TIA!

-Dave