Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:57:20 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS breakage

Bill Paul wrote:
> > and lo1 [127.0.0.2 and another subnet]. I have Apache attached to one of
> > the IPs on lo1.
>
> I wish to heck I knew what it is you're trying to accomplish with this
> second loopback interface.

I am trying to prototype a firewall/router. This second loopback is to make
the host look as multihomed as possible, as I don't have a third box and
more ethernet to do that with.

> > Jan 19 16:57:28 grunt portmap[161]: svc_run: - select failed: Bad address
> > Jan 19 16:57:28 grunt portmap[161]: svc_run returned unexpectedly
> > Jan 19 16:57:28 grunt /kernel: pid 161 (portmap), uid 1: exited on signal 6
> >
> > On the client side, everything just hangs - ^C needed to break out.
> >
> > Just before attempting to change the password, I did a `ps -ax', and
> > everything looked normal - no multiple yp* or anything.
>
> Uh, Mark? It said that portmap died. What did you expect was going to
> happen? Nothing in RPC works without portmap.

Read again - all was fine _before_ changing the password. Changing the
password _triggered_ the above failure.

> > Clues?
>
> portmap and ypbind use their own svc_run() loops. (ypserv does too,
> and it's a little odd that you're not having trouble with that, unless
> the server is running on a different host.) I'm confused, mainly because
> sendmail blew up in an accept() rather than a select(). I was thinking
> maybe something in the new RPC changes Peter made might be clobbering
> file descriptors, but now I'm not too sure.

Because of the instability, I am running master and slave servers. Both
seem to work (judging by ypcat, logging in and all). Mail/NIS on my 486
box - (3.0-REAL-current also) has no problem, and that has only ed0/lo0.

> Now for the questions: do you have any other systems running the
> same build of -current? If so, do they have the same problems? Can

Yes, No.

> you also do me a favor and get rid of that second loopback interface
> and see what happens then? (And I mean really get rid of it: configure
> it out of the kernel, don't just ifconfig it down.)

Will do.

> The only way I'm going to be able to track this down is to load a
> -current snapshot on my test box, since I don't see problems like this
> with 2.2-BETA (thank goodness).
>
> *sigh* I don't have time for this.

Sorry! :-)

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE