Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:54:46 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Solaris: Cannot find the pool label

--000000000000efb85f06002253a0

pblock
   I have added case exhaust fans in the past to help deal with overheating
cards. Not sure if this will help, but it's inexpensive .
https://www.startech.com/en-us/computer-parts/fancase

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:18=E2=80=AFAM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> w=
rote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 1:18=E2=80=AFAM Peter Blok <pblok@bsd4all.org> wr=
ote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a small sized NAS with an on-board LSI SAS2308 controller in IR
> mode, but with drives presented directly. Due to space constraints I=E2=
=80=99m
> booting of those drives, which host a RAID-Z pool. A known problem with t=
he
> on-board controller is that it is getting to hot and over time it dies
> slowly with lots of controller resets. This happened before, but I had a
> spare MB.
> >
> > Over the weekend this started to happen with my last spare MB. I still
> had a PCIe version of SAS2308 and plugged that with the drives into a new=
er
> machine, because it doesn=E2=80=99t fit in the existing case.
> >
> > The boot loader is started but it stops with Solaris: Cannot find the
> boot label for zroot
> >
> > When I add an extra drive on a SATA port and install FreeBSD ( same
> version 13-stable of a couple of days ago ) I can import the pool ok and
> scrub it. No errors found, but booting stil fails the same way even when =
> physically disconnect the extra drive.
> >
> > There are differences:
> >
> > - PCIe controller runs in IT mode. Reported drive size in blocks is
> identical. Firmware is 17.0. based when the on-board had 20.0 (latest) an=
> ran IR in pass-thru.
> > - hardware is different
> >
> > Before I start upgrading firmware, I would like to investigate a bit
> more. (This is my last controller and I don=E2=80=99t want to brick it wi=
th newer
> firmware)
> >
> > Which label is ZFS complaining about and where is it located?
> >
> > Peter
>
> At any point did you do `zpool upgrade` or `zpool set`?  Maybe you
> activated a zpool feature that is too new for the bootloader to
> understand.  You could try reinstalling the boot loader.
> -Alan

--=20
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org

--000000000000efb85f06002253a0

st fans in the past to help deal with overheating cards. Not sure if this w=
ill help, but it&#39;s inexpensive . <a href=3D"https://www.startech.com/en=
-us/computer-parts/fancase">https://www.startech.com/en-us/computer-parts/f=
=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:18=E2=80=AFAM Alan Somers &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:asomers@freebsd.org">asomers@freebsd.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br><=
/div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Mon, Jul 10, 2023=
 at 1:18=E2=80=AFAM Peter Blok &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pblok@bsd4all.org" tar=
get=3D"_blank">pblok@bsd4all.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have a small sized NAS with an on-board LSI SAS2308 controller in IR=
 mode, but with drives presented directly. Due to space constraints I=E2=80=
=99m booting of those drives, which host a RAID-Z pool. A known problem wit=
h the on-board controller is that it is getting to hot and over time it die=
s slowly with lots of controller resets. This happened before, but I had a =
spare MB.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Over the weekend this started to happen with my last spare MB. I still=
 had a PCIe version of SAS2308 and plugged that with the drives into a newe=
r machine, because it doesn=E2=80=99t fit in the existing case.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The boot loader is started but it stops with Solaris: Cannot find the =
boot label for zroot<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; When I add an extra drive on a SATA port and install FreeBSD ( same ve=
rsion 13-stable of a couple of days ago ) I can import the pool ok and scru=
b it. No errors found, but booting stil fails the same way even when I phys=
ically disconnect the extra drive.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; There are differences:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - PCIe controller runs in IT mode. Reported drive size in blocks is id=
entical. Firmware is 17.0. based when the on-board had 20.0 (latest) and ra=
n IR in pass-thru.<br>
&gt; - hardware is different<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Before I start upgrading firmware, I would like to investigate a bit m=
ore. (This is my last controller and I don=E2=80=99t want to brick it with =
newer firmware)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Which label is ZFS complaining about and where is it located?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Peter<br>
At any point did you do `zpool upgrade` or `zpool set`?=C2=A0 Maybe you<br>
activated a zpool feature that is too new for the bootloader to<br>
understand.=C2=A0 You could try reinstalling the boot loader.<br>
-Alan<br>
a href=3D"mailto:nonesuch@longcount.org" target=3D"_blank">nonesuch@longcou=

--000000000000efb85f06002253a0--