Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:41:43 -0400
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with ATAPI CD-RW drive

	I have an HP 8110i CD burner that I'd like to use under
FreeBSD. I've been trying to make a CD using the example script in
wormcontrol(8), with some inspiration from /usr/share/examples/worm/*.

	The drive seems to be recognized just fine at boot time[1].
"wormcontrol -f /dev/racd0c <command>" seems to work just dandy.
"wormcontrol -f /dev/racd0c blank" with a CD-RW disk in the drive
makes the drive's lights blink for a few minutes, which makes it look
as if this drive is supported.
	However, I can't write to the drive: "dd of=/dev/racd0c
obs=20k" (or anything else that writes to /dev/racd0c) fails, and this
message gets appended to 'dmesg':
	acd0: rezero failed

	Yes, /dev/*acd0* is writable; yes, I'm doing this as root;
yes, I've made sure that there's a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk in the
drive.

	Any hints?

	For completeness, my system is:
FreeBSD baa.ooblick.com 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #4: Sun Sep 26 04:15:22 EDT 1999     arensb@baa.ooblick.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/NEW i386

The script I'm using to burn the CD is at [2], and its output is at [3]

----- Footnotes:

[1] From dmesg:
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100/1.0g>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
acd0: drive speed 4134KB/sec, 1024KB cache
acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, packet track
acd0: supported write types: CD-R, CD-RW, test write
acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked

[2]: 'burncd' script:
#!/bin/sh -x
PATH=/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin

WORM=/dev/racd0c
DUMMY="dummy"		# Comment this out to burn for real

wormcontrol -f "$WORM" prepdisk single $DUMMY
wormcontrol -f "$WORM" track data
rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 < /tmp/dummy.iso | rtprio 5 dd of="$WORM" obs=20k
wormcontrol -f "$WORM" fixate 1

[3]: Output from 'burncd':

[164]baa(root)> /tmp/burncd
+ PATH=/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
+ WORM=/dev/racd0c
+ DUMMY=dummy
+ wormcontrol -f /dev/racd0c prepdisk single dummy
+ wormcontrol -f /dev/racd0c track data
+ rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5
+ rtprio 5 dd of=/dev/racd0c obs=20k
dd: /dev/racd0c: Input/output error
team: guy pid 19922: error on upstream receive
team: stop remaining 4 guys
team: guy pid 19923: guy was aborted
team: guy pid 19924: guy was aborted
team: guy pid 19925: guy was aborted
+ wormcontrol -f /dev/racd0c fixate 1
wormcontrol: ioctl(WORMIOFIXATION): Invalid argument

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy		Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu			University of Maryland