Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:01:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help with kde pre config -not kde question-

This is not a kde question. I have a list of what kde needs to install to
work from the documentation. What i am looking for is a way to check to
see what is installed and what is installed and running on my system so i
can make the kde install with out any problems.

What commands do I need to check out what version qt or xfree86 if any
I'm using and what is the best way to upgrade packages if they are not the
latest? Some stuff is installed buy default or as a dependency of
something else and so i need to find out what is there.

some thing show up in ps and some don't ( I think ).

I have used the make files in the ports collection before but it always
disturbs me that I have no real idea what they will do or what they did
when I run them.

I man make and it doesn't really help me understand the the process very
well.

I look at the online documentation and the handbook and some of it helps
buti can't find some thing that doesn't assume I know things I don't.

TIA

freebsd 2.2.8
matrox mil 2mb
dpt 2144

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me : " That guy sure owed me
a lot of money."

-JH