Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:25:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mark-Nathaniel Weisman <mark@outlander.us>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about NATD on v4.5

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:03:25PM -0800, Mark-Nathaniel Weisman wrote:
>=20
> I've got NATD working fine on my BSD firewall, however now I want to
> "trick it out" by allowing a redirect to occur somewhere else if a
> specific name appears in the request.
>=20
> Currently I have all incoming http traffic being forwarded to an
> internal webserver at say 192.186.50.2. That server then uses name
> resolution under apache to identify www.domain1.com, www.domain2.com, or
> www.domain3.com which all reside on this webserver. My firewall internal
> address is say 192.168.50.1, which has IPDIVERT installed and is working
> fine.
> Now say I want all requests to www.domain2.com to go to another server
> at 192.168.50.3 instead of the main webserver, however, all I want is
> this one domain to go there. Any ideas of what I can do in NATD to set
> this up?

ipfw and natd in general look only at the packet headers: they know
nothing about the payload of packets, nor about any particular
protocols, like HTTP.  Which means they aren't really suitable to do
what you want. Unless you're prepared to do quite a lot of programming
then I'd look elsewhere for a solution.

apache itself is a more profitable target to achieve what you want.
You should be able to use the mod_rewrite functionality to make the
server on 192.168.50.1 proxy accesses to www.domain2.com to
192.168.50.2.  This isn't ideal, as clearly 192.168.50.1 still has to
deal with all the traffic, but all it's doing is handing off the
requests to the other server.  There are some good examples in the
apache docs at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html,
particularly the sections on Load Balancing and Reverse Proxy.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way