Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:33:31 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org (Nick Hibma)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, imp@bsdimp.com
Subject:   Re: umass CF geometry problems, was Re: fdisk -BI ob clean disk broken

> > Well the short version of the problem is that "fdisk -BI <disk>" works
> > on -stable to get a FreeBSD partition on the Compact Flash. This does
> > not work on -current anymore. I have traced that back to the commit
> > in umass.c rev 1.61 that removed the fake geometry setting and just
> > leave the cylinders, heads and sectors_per_track zero. This cause
> > fdisk to coredump with a floating point error.
>
> Hm, strange. I would think that a compact flasg is an ATAPI over CBI
> device (see attach message in your dmesg). If that is the case, the
> 'fake setting' was not done in STABLE either and I would expect the
> problem to be somewhere else. But that would contradict your research.

Maybe the short version was too short. :-) The CF is behind a SanDisk
ImageMate (I have two different ones), which emulates SCSI according
to dmesg. I don't know if they use BBB or CBI. I don't know what the
difference is either. :-)

########
umass0: SanDisk ImageMate CF-SD, rev 1.10/0.12, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SanDisk ImageMate CF-SD1 0100> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 61MB (125440 512 byte sectors: 0H 0S/T 0C)
umass0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
umass0: detached
umass0: SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB, rev 1.10/0.09, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 61MB (125441 512 byte sectors: 0H 0S/T 0C)
#########

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org